Thursday 7 July 2011

France Has Internet! Episode 2 - The Seven Mountains

That title was actually supposed to be a play on Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers, but none of you would have known that and as a result I have written this helpful sentence explaining it. Go me.

Lundi
On Monday we decided to return to one of the places that we went to last year. I was expecting it to be the one with all the beautiful waterfalls and the restaurant at the top that feeds you omelettes when you most need them. However, we instead went to one of the places with waterfalls. Instead of there being a restaurant at the top that feeds you omelettes, there is a cave at the top that dribbles water in front of you. Trust me, that's annoying if you've just had to walk 3 miles on a horizontally and half a mile vertically in the blistering 28 degree heat. I would've much preferred to be completely soaked by the cold, perfectly purified mountain water at the top of the bloody route. I was also expecting to see ibex and beavers on the route, but no, just a moth. A black moth. And some burly men building a bridge. Aside from that it was devoid of any interesting life. Was it worth it? Well, walking up to a waterfall and being able to stand under it half way through the course is bloody nice, but overall I don't know... I got some nice pictures, and at the end of the day, isn't miles upon miles of hiking done only to take good pictures? I otherwise see no point in it.






Mardi
Uh... I actually can't remember what we did on Tuesday. Let me consult my camera. I remember why I don't remember now. I took loads of awesome pictures of Mont Blanc (which trust me, is a big deal since you rarely ever see the peak due to clouds) from different points up a mountain that we were driving up. We stopped at a town ... somewhere, which was my Dad's eventual goal. Oh wait! That was it. Today's goal was Morzine and Avoriaz, which we visited last year to see what they were like in the summer since a few years previous we went skiing there. Last year we discovered that Avoriaz was completely dead since it doesn't do summer stuff, whereas Morzine was full of mountain bikers, and this year Avoriaz was being rebuilt. Not sure why. So with that part of the day being wasted we went back down to Morzine and discovered that apart from one or two mountain bikers it was completely dead. We did see a nice lake on the way back though. And I did get to take lots more pictures of Mont Blanc while I could.


Mercredi
It was a bloody good thing I took pictures of Mont Blanc on Tuesday. The entire purpose of today was to go up to a place called Brément so that we could look directly at Mont Blanc and all of its funky glaciers. We went up, it was cold, there was snow, and the peak of Mont Blanc was covered in cloud. Fucking typical. However, the glaciers were all in plane sight, so pictures were many. We walked around what was supposed to be Lac du Brément, but as you can probably already tell from the way that I have structured this sentence, there wasn't one. At the bottom in the town of Charmonix, Lac du Brément is advertised and it looks huge, but after looking around at the top of Brément, I realised that the "lake" was in fact a puddle hidden by the hills. There was no way that a lake could fit in there. I did get lots of good pictures though. Ooh, today was also the day that I met the love of my life. I will always absolutely claim that none of the women (bar three on my count) of France are at all attractive, and in fact the only attractive women in France are in fact British girls who fancy a good hike. Christ. When this girl walked into the cable car my heart skipped a beat, and then I nearly had a heart attack when I heard her talk. It was a Midlands accent. I instantly fell in love. I needed to find a way to talk to her. "The cable car is bumpy, perhaps I can accidentally knock into her and apologise sweetly, making her succumb to my charm," I thought. However it was not to be, for she was 25, and while women have thought me to be 25 in the past, I don't think it'd work for this girl. She seemed clever. Wise, even. She had a backpack and talked about mountain climbing, so she must have been. Damn. Alas, the love of my life quickly walked off the cable car when we departed, speeding towards her next high in the heights of the mountain. Perhaps I'll find someone new some day.



Jeudi
Today was pretty cool. Our aim was to find Lac d'Annecy, using for some reason only a map of the Alps and my brain. I have no idea what was wrong with the sat-nav, but meh. I found a nice mountain route through and we got there to the lake. It was a pretty cool lake, to say the least. I got some nice pictures. Didn't do a lot of walking today, which was all well and good because I'm started to get a bit exhausted. At the beginning of the week, getting up meant the start of a fresh day, a fresh start, raring to go and do anything possible. Now it's descended into the regular old "eugh, morning. Why do we have to get up this early? My alarm hasn't even gone off yet. That means it's too early. Remember we're ahead an hour, so you're actually waking me up at 9 every morning. Not okay" so yeah, I'm a little bit tired now. Annecy is a really nice town though, and is right on the lake which means that the population of old people drops. The number of attractive French women increased by one today thanks to this town, so go Annecy! On the way back though I learned what a stupid road network the mountains have. We accidentally ended up in a different town, one in the opposite direction to what we needed. Sign-posted was "Du lac" which should have been the one that we needed. "Perfect" I thought, "Head towards the lake," I said. The Lake was signposted once. It took us in a direction that was the wrong direction and then decided to just stop telling us where the lake was. We ended up on the autoroute. On my last check, lakes and autoroutes don't mix. I directed us back to Annecy and then luckily the proper route became clear. Stupid French road network. Stupid French altogether.



So that's so far so average. I want to be back home now though, I've had enough driving around pointlessly and then pointlessly spending 2 hours in a random town because there is literally nothing better to do. I need to see my Real Family again, because without them I'm just an empty shell blowing in the wind, insulting my younger brother constantly. I'm now running out of fresh insults.

I'll update with pictures soon, since I've been harping on about them. Seriously that is the only point in this holiday. Nice pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment