Sunday 6 March 2011

Reel BIG Fish Friday

Okay, let's get on with this because it's going to take a while.

First Lesson - Media
I got bored in this lesson. I finished my essay redraft and then I went off to find people. I found Joe, Becca, Abi and some dude's whose name I think his Jack hovering around, blocking the stairs, so I went to investigate. Joe told me to stop and watch, so I did just that. He then proceeded to step up and down the stairs in time to a metronome. I then understood. I remember correctly, that's all that's worth mentioning for this lesson.

Second Lesson - Deutsch
We watched Napola again. It was good.

Third Lesson - Free
Didn't do anything as far as I'm concerned. It was just all building up to this moment.

Fourth Lesson - Dukey's House
So yeah, after an adventure getting Caitlin to bring a suitcase to school so we could get Janina's stuff in the suitcase and then in Dukey's car, we went to Dukey's house. What did we do there? Well, we had lunch and watched TV. Then we drove to Tom's house to pick him up. Oh, and then we drove to Joe's house to pick him up. At this point, we were jammed in the car and couldn't move. Well, the car could move fine, but I was stuck between two burly men, so I was not best pleased.

Fifth Lesson - Cambridge
After a taunting hour on the road we made it to Cambridge. I have to say, Cambridge looks at least twice as good as Oxford. Oxford was your run-in-the-mill old town that doesn't look very nice, but Cambridge is your "Yeah, our University is in a castle" kind of town. I was actually pretty amazed at it. Getting around Cambridge is a nightmare, but nonetheless I liked it. In fact, I'll show you some of what it had to offer.

That there is the venue for the upcoming gig. I should've probably mentioned at some point earlier that today was all about going to a gig. Oh well.

Also while the topic is Cambridge, Josh was annoying the locals with his laser pen. Some caught him and gave him looks. Others just looked downright confused. It was probably worth it. Also, this was here.
I feel like I want to do something... 


The Queue
I was told that a section of this post had to be about the queue, but for the life of me I can't remember why. I'm sure there was a quote somewhere here... Oh wait, this was before the queue but for the purpose of fleshing out this part of the post I'll put it here.
"So I was walking to the toilet and there were these chavs doing that game where you hit the punchbag as hard as you can and see how fast you punch. So this first chav did it and he put all his might into it, and got like 15mph. I don't know if that's fast or not but that's not of consequence. So this second chav walked up and his girlfriend was like, 'Go on, Dave, fuck it up!'" That was funny because the female chav has a very distinctive whiney voice that cannot be vocalised in written form. 
Oh, I do remember that Joe and Tom repeatedly tried to rape me because apparently my jeans are fitted with an anti-rape mechanism. Just goes to show that it doesn't work.


New Riot
So after the queue we went into the arena and found our spot. The perfect spot. It was the best for camera angles. The non-photographers were all like, "As people leave the middle, we'll slowly shift up there yeah?" and Josh and I were all like, "Nah, man, we've got the perfect camera angle here, so shut the fuck up." And so we stayed there. Tom wanted to drink alcohol at this point, because he's a youth, and so he had to run back to the car. The fool.

Anyway, about this band. I didn't know them, nobody knew them but they were a pretty awesome band to get the ball rolling. I can't remember any of their songs, but they were pretty funny and I can dig that.
So for this song, we need you all to sit down... 

The Skints
When this band rolled out, Josh and I noted that there was a Jamaican chick, and we both predicted exactly how she'd sing. We were right. However, they did have an awesome logo.
Skint.

This band was though, for all intents and purposes, playing for the wrong crowd. They were like a jazz/reggae/rock fusion, and that confused the hell out of me. But for argument's sake, here's a picture of the band.

The drummer was, in fact, the singer, which is an incredible feat. You see that guy on the left though? The lead guitarist? Yeah, he was a chav and I didn't like him. He said one funny thing towards the end of their act about Cambridge being better than Oxford, but aside from that he was a dick. The bassist looks awesome though, doesn't he? That's the kind of beard you can respect.

Suburban Legends
Now, these three bands were meant to support Reel Big Fish. However, I kind of felt like the other two bands were supporting this one. They were that awesome.
Legends, truly in the making. 

They were awesome. They had it all. A dick of a lead singer, an awesome bass player, an awesome lead guitarist, an awesome drummer and then they had two amazingly good brassists. The thing in common about all of these acts is that they had brass instruments and saxophones, but these two made it cool. When they weren't playing they were... well, playing. As in having little sword fights with their brass. And they wore waistcoats. That makes them cool. I was truly surprised at how good they were. They also played I Just Can't Wait to be King from the Lion King, which is awesome.

Reel BIG Fish
The joke is, that Josh emphasizes Big instead Reel to piss Dukey off. Anyway, Reel Big Fish were the Reel Big act of the evening. Suburban Legends were good supports, but there's a reason as to why they're called supports.
[Hopefully I'll put a video up here in the near future]
Lost for words. 

Truly I was. They're simply just staggeringly awesome. There was one point where this guy:

He played the guitar behind his head. Josh was talking earlier in the day about how some guy who plays for some band is the best guitarist in the world because he played the guitar behind his head at a gig, which is an amazing thing to do. Well, now there are two best guitarists in the world.

I really enjoyed this day and I hope to go to more gigs in the future. It really was amazing.

Oh, I'm gone now and won't see you for another week. I said I might give you a new author for the week, but Sophia argued that no one could handle the responsibility to be as awesome as I am, so... I left it. Now don't go and make a noose, I'll only be gone for the week. If that's too long for you then man up, because it really isn't that long. Okay, it's quite long in blog terms, but hey, I try. If I get internet connection in Berlin, I may give you snippets and quotes, but no promises. I will only have an iPod on me, and as we all know, iPods are the worst thing to ever happen.

See you properly next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment