Wednesday 16 June 2010

Snakes Alive

Seriously, it's amazing.
Seeing as I missed the Year 8s last week due to the media exam, I had to catch up with the Year 8s by visiting Mr Hawksley and his tutor group, which was quite fun to start with.
And this week I was all set up to help those kids to my very best ability.
I shouted, I pointed, and I even stuck my thumbs in the air.
It was surely an experience.

We'll start with the short complaint that I have.
There will always be the one kid who thinks that this kind of thing is a doss lesson.
The idea is to churn out as many snake parts as possible, working like continuous production in the industry (the whole point of this project).
So what one kid does is work on the same piece that he was working on the last time I was there two weeks ago, that was wrong anyway, and wouldn't make it to the snake at all.
So, I shouted a lot.
Told him to do something more constructive with his time.
Got his team leader to tell him to do something.
Yes, every time I told him to get out of the laser room he left, but he went straight back in afterwards.
This is the disadvantage I have as a sixth former.
They know that I don't have the final say, that I'm only there to enforce rules as opposed to making them.
He thought it was a game, despite the fact that I got to swearing point.
When one gets to swearing point with the kids, one is royally not amused.
Stupid dick.

Anyway, back to it.
The rest of the time it was fantastic.
Switching between classes to cover each of the different production stages.
There was body manufacture, the main part of the project, where the segments of the body were churned out by the dozen (or so is the theory).
There was computer aided design, for use of designing the wheels to put on the laser cutter or advertising and making various random videos to showcase the unfolding events.
There were Mrs Wright's and Mr Brown's rooms... which appeared to be for nothing aside from the extra machines and work benches.
Then there was textiles, where the girls and a couple of fruity guys gathered to design the pattern for the skins of the snake.
It was truly a sight to see.
Constant requests for help were firing my way, and I happily obliged, and it was even requested that I join the lot in textiles where I somehow managed to help despite my limited knowledge of the textiles industry.
But to be quite honest, I hung out there for fifteen minutes under the request of Courtney, the most bearable of the year eights, and I literally just chilled and chatted.
Sometimes, even I need a break.
But I did manage to help her out with a bit of simple maths though, which I suppose is fine.
It was only when it was apparent that the laser room had filled with unruly children that I decided to bug out, at which point she shouted across the classroom "already missing you!"
Aww

Might as well mention that the year sevens were fantastic too.
Lots of joyful banter over their worry that the fumes from the soldering iron were going to kill them because the extractor wasn't working.
Chuckle.
Said child who was worried about the fumes (ironically the best friend of my biggest fan) has decided that it is actually totally cool to rest her head on my biceps (I was going to say shoulder, but then I realised that they're all really short) while asking me a question.

I do love my kids.
They're fab (Y)
Brilliant day brighteners when my emotions seem to have dropped from super happy to average and mellow.
Not sure why that has happened to be quite honest, but actually my recent blogs haven't been super happy like May's.
Hmm...
I shall need to investigate further.

Anyway, this is me bugging out after this fantastic day with the kids and the Krewe.
Buhbye

No comments:

Post a Comment