Monday 13 December 2010

De Montfort University is Stalking Me

Okay, so a few weeks ago I applied for University places at De Montfort in Leicester, Teesside, Birmingham City and Nottingham Trent, and subsequently I have received fairly brilliant offers from all of them. Birmingham was the first to react, blandly stating that I needed 300 UCAS points, but 120 of those needed to be in Media. This was pretty much the same across the board. However, about 12 days after I had released my application, De Montfort sent me a letter saying that they had received my application and they would be in touch soon. "Brilliant," I thought, "they're the last Uni I need to hear from." I did not know what I had gotten myself into.

Obviously, DMU gave me the best offer of all time, which was an astoundingly low 260 UCAS points with the condition that I needed to get a B in Media. That, my friends, is lower than what I'm aiming for. In fact, in the prospectus, it said that the number of points needed would be 270, and the head of Media at DMU actually stated that the get-in points would definitely be higher than that. This is where suspicions began.

Today I received a giant package from DMU with a 500-word(ish) letter saying that I had been accepted, and that they now hope I accept their offer in return. That may sound pretty normal. No other Uni has done this for me, let alone sending me the Humanities prospectus and two pamphlets that basically screamed at me to come to their wonderful Leicester-based Uni.

Other people have had interviews with their universities and they had a great chat with the subject teachers about the course they want to take. This is the Uni wanting to get to know the student better. I tried to reassure myself that, because they hadn't asked for an interview, DMU weren't actually stalking me and that I'm fine. However, I then came to the conclusion that De Montfort were actually too nervous to meet me face-to-face, just in case I didn't like them and turned them down. I'm certain you've all had someone nervously call you and hang up inadvertently. So instead they're sending me all of these letters and pamphlets and colourful prospectuses so that I'm convinced to go.

And you know what? I think De Montfort has been telling their friends about me. Despite the fact that I've already sent off my UCAS application, and gotten all but one (ironically a second one from DMU) of my offers back, Regent's College (London School of Film, Media and Performance) sent me a letter and a prospectus saying that they want me. This is clearly done out of envy, because Regent's were all like "No way, you couldn't get a score like that" and so they're now trying to win me over. Unfortunately it's too late for Regent's.

You know what? I'm actually scared of what De Montfort will do if I don't go to their university. At first I'll get a letter like, "Whoops, you seem to have accidentally declined our offer," and then it will escalate to, "Are you serious? You actually declined our offer?" and then, "But I thought that we had something special?" then, "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?!" and finally De Montfort will go insane and start destroying all the other universities and then I'll turn to De Montfort and be like, "Hey, don't be like that. It's not you, it's me." DMU will turn around at that point and stab me in the chest with a flag pole screaming, "IF WE CAN'T HAVE YOU; NO ONE CAN!!!!!"

And that's how I'm going to die.

But seriously now, I do actually love De Montfort and while their efforts do seem a little clingy, I'm sure we'll have a happy relationship in the future. Awwww.

EDIT: I just realised that I personified De Montfort and made it seem like I'm going to somehow have a relationship with the entire university. That would be very expensive, and I'm not exactly a rich guy. I am definitely going there though, because I will definitely get the grades I need in order to go, and it's only in Leicester, so the journey from my Real Family won't be that long. In fact, I may even be with my Real Family if Becca goes to Leicester. Fingers to the crossed.

Peter out.
EDIT: I find it funny that I wrote Peter out, because that means fade away into nothing. Imagine me fading away into nothing when I write that. But don't worry, petering out is not a permanent thing; I'll be back on Wednesday, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment