Friday 13 May 2011

Penultimate Thursday

AKA: Last EVER Thursday.

Luckily I saved this post in a word-doc before the blogger servers went down, so this post is still alive :)

First Lesson - Free
So, with the last day approaching it was absolutely necessary to try and get to a finishing point for our game of World Conquest. I own most of the world now and therefore I win. Hahaha. During this lesson though we got to see the beginnings of the shenanigans from the year 11s. The first thing I noticed was that like 5 of them were dressed up as sluts just because... well that's who they are. Wicked original idea, guys. The funniest moment for them for this lesson though was padlocking Chris Pimley's locker with a neodymium(?) lock. Basically, it's huge and impossible to get into. It's the sort of lock you put on your high-security compound to stop anyone breaking in. Mr Brown and Mr Barrett were standing next to it and Brown said, "So do you think we could use the bolt cutters or the circular saw?" and B-ster replied, "Nothing's going to break through that." You'd need a diamond blade to cut through it. So that was funny.

Second Lesson - DT
The entire group saw Mrs [redacted] sitting in our classroom and so we decided to stay put outside of the classroom until she moved. This didn't happen for a while and I actually had to talk to the witch to remove something from my CRF form, but as soon as that was done I didn't have to look at her again, so that was all right. Aside from this I just decided to enjoy my last lesson of DT by not doing any work and switching between Zak and Westie and my kids. Finally and absolutely finally I've gotten to a stage where none of my kids piss me off anymore and I can talk to pretty much all of them and have a good laugh. For example, Paige is a student that I didn't really connect with before, but today she decided to throw a masking tape ball at me. I then accidentally played catch with her for like five minutes. I say accidental because I'm amazing at catching stuff like masking tape balls when kids are throwing them at me and then I threw them back because the point was that I don't clear up after these kids. And you know what? She started it. This lesson taught me one thing, that I am still not ready to say goodbye to My Kids. They're at least too important to me.

In the spirit of things, here's a heart-warming tale of Mr Barrett:
Since year 7, B.A. Barrattus, you've taught me how to become a damn fine engineer. I love how now I can have an in-depth conversation about the best materials to use for a job, and also how I can even rival your knowledge of material knowledge. You did that to me, somehow. In fact, on several occasions you've even asked for my advice on such matters relating to materials or ProDesktop and such. Last year we were the dream team of teachers. You at the helm giving the core lesson, me slowly being taught how to become the teacher that I am today through being thrown into the whole teaching thing myself. You made me your equal, which is more than can be said for a lot of teachers, especially the ones who don't go to this school. You're great (Y).

Westie and Zak shook Mr Barrett's hand as if to say goodbye, but I strolled up to him and said, "I'm not going to say goodbye because I'm definitely coming back here next term."

Third Lesson - Deutsch
We gave Janina her book of goodies this lesson and bless her, she cried.

- Westie just sent me the link to Angry Birds for Google Chrome. Love. -

Anyway, aside from the Janina fiasco, we got to watch another Denis Gansel film! This one's about vampires, but it's not all sparkly and shit like Twilight and the other homoerotic vampire films that have come out in recent years. It is, instead, full of blood and gore. The storyline is a tad bit shit though, if I'm honest. But we have got half of the film to go, so it might redeem itself. Denis Gansel, don't let me down.

Fourth Lesson - Free
This lesson's objective was to edit the Flugtag video together, so we did. This consisted of cutting off two bits of the video and syncing some music to it. It's cool. There was also a massive music fight in the media suite. I think Dukey and I won purely for playing Mumba 5 really loudly. It was cool.

Fifth Lesson - Free
After Josh scanned our Flugtag drawings in we joined the peeps in bottom red for some chilling. I haven't done that in AGES. Felt good. I played around on Joe's calculator a lot. One day, I will work out how to write the entire alphabet on it. After school and bus I walked part-way home with Courtney and Emily. It was the usual affair, talking about stuff and such. I was explaining to her some of the things that we were going to do on the last day, as well as past last days. When it reached the point where we usually go our separate ways we stopped to have a little extra chat, and then she turned as if she were going to leave, so I started to distance myself. Courtney's inside voice then said, "You are so not going to let him get away without giving him a heartfelt speech. Do it now!" and so she turned around and gave me a heartfelt speech and I was really taken aback. I don't know where she pulled this thing out from, because it was really in-depth and emotional. Naturally I didn't have anything prepared because I was planning on saying goodbye next term, so I had to create something on the spot. My thing was also warming and heartfelt, but hers was just... well I've been beaten at heartfelt speeches. Emily also demanded a heartfelt speech, but she didn't give me one so I didn't really do anything for her either, but I did give them both a hug before we departed and then I walked away saying, "You, both of you, have been fantastic over the last couple of years," and they were like, "Thank you :D" and then we departed. As I was walking home I stewed this over in my head and for once Inside Voice was completely passive. A single tear then fell from my eye. Gonna miss those kids.

Tomorrow may be harder to do than I first thought. If any more of my kids try and give me heartfelt speeches I have no idea how I'm going to cope. It's going to be a bloodbath... but with tears instead of blood. That would make it a tear bath. Should've probably said that first. Also, readers of Cliché Life Stuff, I know you're not exactly used to me being all emotional and shit, so this is quite a breakthrough for me. Well done, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment