Thursday 3 February 2011

Just a Thought

I was talking to Courtney earlier about how I'd be leaving school soon and going off to Uni, about how expensive it is now and how I'd be saying goodbye to everyone and such. I don't know how she coaxed it out of me, but I admitted to her that saying goodbye to her and the rest of the kids was going to be damn difficult. This left me with two thoughts.

Thought #1
When I was growing up I remember being driven past the sign for Burton Latimer University every now and then. I'm going to assume that it doesn't exist anymore, since there seems to be no sign of it anywhere. But I remember thinking how cool it was that we had a university near us, and even though I never saw the actual building, I did think about going there when I grew up. See, back then we had a choice between a job, college and uni. Uni was the big daddy of education, and only the most prestigious went there. During my time at Brambleside, I do remember being asked if I would rather go to uni or college. Obviously I can't remember my response, but even back then colleges still existed for post-18 students and uni seemed unattainable. Kind of like the uni system in America, come to think of it.

Now it's about 10 years on, and look at how things have changed. Going to uni is no longer a huge big deal. Yeah, getting in and stuff is the most important thing to us right now, but "us" means 50% of students in the country. That's a pretty big number. Colleges have been abolished, and now exist as sixth form colleges and regular comprehensive schools. The impact of all that means that a student's life has now become that much harder. Ironically, getting into uni is a lot harder now, despite the fact that half the country currently attends.

Thought #2
In year 11, I said my final goodbyes to about 20 people, and those people I didn't shed a tear for. This year, I'm going to have to say goodbye to over 200, and that's a pretty big number. Because this will be the moment in our lives where we all split off and ferry off to different parts of the country, there will be a lot of people I won't see again. I've made quite a few friends in my time, but fortunately the irreplaceable ones don't have a choice but to remain irreplaceable as they become more like a family to me than ever before, since I may get the chance to live with a few of them. There will also be all the teachers whom I've become friends with over the years. But the one that nearly made me shed a tear as I was saying all this to Courtney was when I talked about saying goodbye to my kids. The year eights I've slowly been saying goodbye to over the course of this year, since they became annoying and I didn't like them very much anymore, but the year nines have become a very important part of my life. You've seen the posts about them. It's mostly good things. I just honestly have no idea how I can possibly just leave them to it, especially since Courtney is now finding different ways for me to come back and teach them next year. And because there are so many of them and social barriers and friendship groups mean nothing when I'm around.

FYI, this is why Courtney is my favourite student. I can have meaningful conversations with her, and a bit of a laugh. With the others it's either smut or banter... or they're really boring and I don't want to talk to them because of it. But that's only a couple of them.

Anyway, just thought I've give something for you to think about. The second thought is more personal to me though... whatever, it's posted. If you accidentally think about the second thought, then I wouldn't worry about it at all, since you may be in a similar circumstance.

If you were reading this post in search of wit and humour, then I must say to you that it is 0100 and I really can't be bothered. My brain is in think mode, not humour mode. Although, it must be said that thinking keeps me up at night. Oh, I get it. That was quite clever of me.

Fine, I'll give you a joke.

There was a nun and a priest who were madly in love, but since they were abstinent and bound by the laws of god they couldn't do the hokey kokey and then turn around. He couldn't "that's what it's" her "all about," so to speak. But one day, they were in Church together, and they couldn't resist their urges any longer. So they found a loophole. In order to rid oneself of one's sins, one would confess in the confession box, and I think you know where I'm going with this. Yup. "Oh GOD! ForGIVE me for I have SINNED!" God was actually quite proud of their efforts to loop a hole in the system, so he let it go. However, after the seventh time he got pretty pissed, because now they'd made a habit of it, and that just won't do. I (because I'm the Messiah) then walked into the church, stood menacingly in front of the confession box and politely waited until they finished. When they came out I brought the wrath of god upon them, and essentially castrated them.

Uh... it got kind of dark at the end. As I said, 0100, don't judge me. I don't think that's a half-bad job for someone of my level of tiredness. I should really go to bed now.

And I'm gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment